Thank you to everyone who participated in the 3rd Annual Run for
the Luck of It! on Saturday, March 10th! We had an unprecedented 730 +
participants this year and couldn't be happier with how everything
went! Downtown Missoula was simply brimming with hundreds of excited
green-clad runners and walkers on this beautiful sunny day in March!
To our 40+ enthusiastic volunteers, we thank you so much for everything! We couldn't put on this event without you. The success of events like the Run for the Luck of It! depends so much on the quality of its volunteers. Each year, we have some of the best volunteers and for that we couldn't feel any luckier!
Also many thanks to our sponsors this year for their support. Thank you for choosing to support running/walking in our community and events like ours that encourages folks to engage in a healthy activity all while having fun!
Race Shirt Info:
For those participants who have NOT yet received a shirt, you may pick them up at the Runner's Edge during the following times:
Wednesday, March 28th 10:00 am to 6:00 pm (all day!)
Thursday, March 29th 11:30 am to 1:30 pm
Friday, March 30th 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm
Top Age-Group Finisher Prizes:
Top age-group finishers, if you have NOT yet received your prize (a nice, glass mug), you may pick-up yours at the Runner's Edge. The mugs will be available at the Runner's Edge through the first week in April. Congratulations! Click here for results.
Information regarding the 4th Annual Run for the Luck of It! will be posted as soon. We hope to see everyone come back for more St. Patrick's Day fun next year!
Questions? Contact Race Directors Jen von Sehlen or Maggie Wescott.
Below are details about the 2012 Run for the Luck of It:
Race Starts in front of Sean Kelly's, 130 W. Pine
7 Mile race at 8:45 a.m., 5K race at 9:15 a.m., and Kids' Dash (about 400 meters) at 8:50 a.m.
Registration & Packet Pick Up at Runner's Edge on Friday, March 9, 5 - 7 p.m. & Saturday, March 10, 7 - 8:30 a.m.
New for 2012: we’re adding a second race distance option!
• In addition to the fun and funky 5K course you’ve come to love and look forward to each year, we are offering an awesome 7 mile course for those thirsty for a longer distance. Why 7 miles, you ask? Why not! Seven is a lucky number and this is the Run for the Luck of It! after all. Chances are you’re bound to PR in the 7 miler (since there actually aren’t that many official 7 mile race offerings). So give it a try; it’s only .80 longer than a 10K! Plus, this also might be the first race in which you get to run through a beautiful cemetery. That’s right, 7 milers will eventually make their way through the Missoula Cemetery before reuniting with the 5K course.
• A note about the Missoula Cemetery: we have graciously been given permission to loop our 7 Miler participants through this park-like setting. That said, respect it! We feel very lucky to get to utilize this space, so absolutely no littering, straying from the course, running on the grass (or worse). Stay on the designated paved roads and leave no trace! Anyone not adhering to these simple rules will be DQed and will have lots of bad luck for an unspecified amount of time!
• You can pre-register online by clicking on the link above. There are NO additional fees for registering online – so save time and paper and register today! Prefer the old fashioned methods? You may drop off your registration form at the Runner’s Edge, or mail your form to Run Wild Missoula PO Box 1573, Missoula, MT 59806 (checks payable to RWM). If you are mailing your form, please allow enough time for us to receive it by Friday, March 9th.
• Pre-registered? Pick up your race packet the evening before the race! Early packet pick up will be held at the Runner’s Edge on Friday, March 9, 5 - 7 p.m. Your friends can also get registered at this time so be sure to bring them along.
• Race day packet pick up will be available at the Runner’s Edge from 7 - 8:30/9 a.m. (7 Milers/5K)
• Race day registration is also available at the Runner’s Edge from 7 until 8:30 a.m. NOTE: because these are chip-timed races and because we like to keep our sanity, we must cut off race day registration at 8:30 a.m. SHARP, so plan accordingly!
• The RFTLOI 7 Miler and 5K will be CHIP-TIMED by Competitive Timing this year, so registering early is a tremendous help to the timers and the Race Directors!!!
• Individual Registration: $20 by March 2 – RWM members, $18
• Individual late/race day registration (after March 2): $22 – RWM members, $20
• Kids’ Dash is FREE! More information about the kids’ dash can be found below.
Participants will get LUCKY with…
• Post-race food compliments of Sean Kelly’s: A Public House
• 1 FREE Highlander Beer compliments of Missoula Brewing Co. (Must be 21 or older – bring your ID!)!
• A sham-rific, short sleeve technical shirt that you absolutely want to add to your running wardrobe! And, yes, the shirts are green! (click here to view the shirt size chart) NOTE: Shirts are guaranteed at packet pick up for those who register by March 2. Those registering after March 2 will receive a shirt on a first come, first serve basis. For those who do not receive a shirt on race day, they will be available for pick up at the Runner’s Edge a couple of weeks after the race (we will send you an email.).
• Prizes will be award to the top finishers in each age category, three deep!
Age Groups are:
14 and younger
• Costume contest winners will receive fun prizes. This year our secret judges will pick their favorite individual male, individual female, duo, and group (3 + people). Contest winners will be announced after the top finishers are recognized.
Also new this year, we are offering FREE regsitration to the first place man (Jimmy Grant) and woman (Brooke Andrus) from the 2011 race. Both are returning this year, but will run the 7-miler. The same will be extended to the first place men and women in both the 7-Mile and 5K races for the 2013 Run for the Luck of It! Good luck!
Both courses are OPEN to traffic! This means race participants always need to be aware of traffic and yield to cars unwilling to stop for runners. While there will be numerous volunteers and lots of signage all over the course, runners must still be cautious at intersections. Listen to the course marshals’ instructions.
This race takes place in Missoula, Montana. In March. What does that mean to runners? It means you never know what kind of weather we’re going to have or what the weather decided to drop off on the streets as it passed through, i.e., snow, sleet, rain, etc. So be prepared for potentially slippery surfaces. Also, beware of potholes (watch for puddles!), uneven surfaces, and a couple of railroad tracks!
7 Milers: line up at 8:40 am on Pine St. in front of Sean Kelly’s-downtown (130 West Pine Street). The new 7 Miler course first takes runners on a quick tour of the Westside before heading over the Scott St. Bridge. Runners will follow Scott St. until Rogers, hang a left and head toward the Missoula Cemetery. After a loop around the cemetery, runners will head back toward the Northside neighborhood and meet up with 5K course, following it to the finish. There will be a water stop on this course (location TBA).
5K: for veterans of this race, nothing has changed. For newbies, this fun and funky course begins and ends in front of Sean Kelly’s-downtown. After making their way over the Scott St. Bridge, participants get a little tour of the Northside neighborhood before arriving at the pedestrian bridge. Once across, racers dash back toward Sean Kelly’s where hot stew awaits!
Click on the links below to view the course maps and descriptions.
5k course map
7 mile course map
Clover Kids’ Dash:
We are again offering a FREE short Clover Kids’ Dash for your lads and lassies 10 years of age and younger. A parent or legal guardian must register their child on Friday, March 9 from 5 - 7 p.m. or the morning of the race at Runner’s Edge. Participants will receive a small prize. The approximately 400 meter dash will begin shortly after the 7 Mile participants depart, around 8:50 am. Kiddos will start and finish in front of Sean Kelly’s.
This and That:
• There will be a water stop on the 7 Mile course; however, there will NOT be a water stop along the 5K course.
• Participants pushing strollers are welcome, however, we ask that you kindly line up at the back so as to reduce congestion and avoid injuries.
• No dogs are allowed on the course or in the post-race area where food is served.
• If you plan to enjoy your one free beer after the race, you must present your ID in order to be served. Also, beer MUST be consumed in the parking lot across from Sean Kelly’s where the food and beverages will be served – yield to the signs and fencing!
• Sports beverages, water, and other snacks will be provided in addition to the stew and beer.
• Haven’t answered your question? Feel free to contact Jen or Maggie with any questions you might have.
This event would not be possible without dedicated volunteers, and we need a lot! If you are interested in volunteering, please contact Maggie Wescott.
We couldn’t put on a quality community fun run/walk without the generous contributions of our sponsors! If you are interested in co-sponsoring the RFTLOI or in making a donation, please contact the race directors, Jen and Maggie. Thank you!
Thank you to the generous 2012 Run for the Luck of It sponsors:
Photo by Dariusz Janczewski
Jun 30: Eat & Run Series
Jul 05: Tuesday Track
Jul 09: Saturday Breakfast Club Runs
Jul 12: Tuesday Track
Jul 16: Saturday Breakfast Club Runs
Jul 19: Tuesday Track
Jul 23: Saturday Breakfast Club Runs
Jul 26: Tuesday Track
Jul 27: Last Wednesday Beer Run
Jul 30: Saturday Breakfast Club Runs
Aug 02: Tuesday Track
Aug 06: BOP August Social: Finn & Porter
Aug 06: Saturday Breakfast Club Runs
Aug 09: Tuesday Track
Aug 13: Huckleberry Run 5K
Aug 13: Saturday Breakfast Club Runs
Aug 16: Tuesday Track
Aug 20: Saturday Breakfast Club Runs