Kids' Dash at 8:45 a.m., 7 Mile race at 9 a.m. and 5K race at 9:30 a.m. in downtown Missoula in front of Sean Kelly's: A Public House, 130 West Pine St.
Online registration open through 8:59 a.m. on Friday, March 14.
Registration & goody/timing chip pick up will be available at Runner's Edge (downstairs) on Friday, March 14, 12 - 7 p.m. & race day morning, Saturday, March 16, 7 - 8:30 a.m.
Registration & Packet Pick Up Info:
• Registration is available online only - there are NO additional fees for registering online.
• Pre-registered? Pick up your race packet the day before the race! Early packet pick up will be held at the Runner’s Edge (downstairs-- please use the back entrance) on Friday, March 14, 12 - 7 p.m. Your friends can also get registered at this time so be sure to bring them along. You may also pick up packets for other race participants.
• Race day packet pick up will be available at the Runner’s Edge (downstairs-- please use the back entrance) from 7 - 8:30 a.m.
• Race day registration is also available at the Runner’s Edge from 7 until 8:30 a.m. NOTE: because these are chip-timed races and because we like to keep our sanity, we must cut off race day registration at 8:30 a.m. SHARP, so plan accordingly!
• The RFTLOI 7 Mile and 5K will be CHIP-TIMED by Competitive Timing, so registering early is a tremendous help to the timers and volunteers!!
• Registration: $20 by February 28 at 11:59 p.m., or $18 for RWM members
• Late registration (March 1 - 14 at 8:59 a.m.): $22 or $20 for RWM members
• Race day registration (March 14 from 12 – 7 pm and March 15 from 7 – 8:30 am): $25; RWM members, $23 (NOTE: registration is briefly CLOSED on March 14 between 9 a.m. and 11:59 a.m. in order to prepare the timing chips for packet pickup.)
• Kids’ Dash is FREE! More information about the kids’ dash can be found below.
Participants will get LUCKY with…
• Post-race food compliments of Sean Kelly’s: A Public House
• 1 FREE Highlander Beer compliments of Missoula Brewing Co. (Must be 21 or older – bring your ID!)!
• A shamrific commemorative Silipint-- it's an unbreakable silicone pint glass you'll wish you had more of!
• Prizes will be awarded to the top finishers in each age category, three deep!
Age groups are:
14 and younger
• Costume contest winners will receive fun prizes. This year our secret judges will pick their favorite individual male, individual female, duo, and group (3 + people). Contest winners will be announced after the end of race.
• First place finishers in both the 7 Mile and 5K (men and women) receive free registration for next year’s race. Our 2013 first place winners were:
7 Mile: Jeremy Wolf & Trisha Drobeck
5K: Mark Handelman & Jenny Newton
Congratulations, Jeremy, Trisha, Mark and Jenny!
Both courses are OPEN to traffic! This means race participants always need to be aware of traffic and yield to cars unwilling to stop for runners. While there will be numerous volunteers and lots of signage all over the course, runners must still be cautious at intersections. Listen to the course marshals’ instructions.
This race takes place in Missoula, Montana. In March. What does that mean to runners? It means you never know what kind of weather we’re going to have or what the weather decided to drop on the streets as it passed through, i.e., snow, sleet, rain, etc. So be prepared for potentially slippery surfaces. Also, beware of potholes (watch for puddles!), uneven surfaces, and a couple of railroad tracks!
7 Milers: Please note, due to course restrictions, there is a time limit for this race. You must be able to complete the course in 1 hour and 40 minutes or less (that’s about a 14 minute/mile pace). Participants will line up at 8:50 am on Pine St. in front of Sean Kelly’s-downtown (130 West Pine Street). The 7 Mile course first takes runners on a quick tour of the Westside before heading over the Scott St. Bridge. Runners will follow Scott St. until Rogers, hang a left and head toward the Missoula Cemetery. After a loop around the cemetery, runners will head back toward the Northside neighborhood and meet up with 5K course, following it to the finish. There will be a water stop on this course (location TBA).
A note about the Missoula Cemetery: we have graciously been given permission to loop our 7 Mile participants through this park-like setting. That said, respect it! We feel very lucky to get to utilize this space, so absolutely no littering, straying from the course, running on the grass (or worse). Stay on the designated paved roads and leave no trace! Anyone not adhering to these simple rules will be DQed and will have lots of bad luck for an unspecified amount of time!
5K: for veterans of this race, nothing has changed. For newbies, this fun and funky course begins and ends in front of Sean Kelly’s-downtown. After making their way over the Scott St. Bridge, participants get a little tour of the Northside neighborhood before arriving at the pedestrian bridge. Once across, racers dash back toward Sean Kelly’s where hot stew awaits!
Click on the links below to view the course maps and descriptions.5k course map
We are again offering a FREE short Kids’ Dash for your lads and lassies 10 years of age and younger. A parent or legal guardian may either register their child online, or in person at packet pick up on Friday, March 14 from 12 - 7 p.m., or the morning of the race at Runner’s Edge. Participants will receive a small prize. The approximately 400 meter dash will begin at 8:45 a.m. Kiddos will start and finish in front of Sean Kelly’s.
This and That:
• There will be a water stop on the
7 Mile course; however, there will NOT be a water stop along the 5K course.
• Participants pushing strollers are welcome, however, we ask that you kindly line up at the back so as to reduce congestion and avoid injuries.
• No dogs are allowed on the course or in the post-race area where food is served.
• If you plan to enjoy your one free beer after the race, you must present your ID in order to be served. Also, beer MUST be consumed in the parking lot across from Sean Kelly’s where the food and beverages will be served – yield to the signs and fencing!
• Sports beverages, water, and other snacks will be provided in addition to the stew and beer.
• Haven’t answered your question? Feel free to contact Jen von Sehlen with any questions you might have.
This event would not be possible without dedicated volunteers, and we need a lot! If you are interested in volunteering, please contact Jen von Sehlen.
Sponsorship Opportunities: We couldn’t put on a quality community fun run/walk without the generous contributions of our sponsors! If you are interested in co-sponsoring the RFTLOI or in making a donation, please contact Eva Dunn-Froebig.
Out of Town Guests: The Red Lion Missoula is offering 17% off their regular rate (currently $66 online). Enter the rate/promo code LUCK. No cancellation fee (as long as guests contact them, no-show fee does apply), no early departure fee. Hot buffet breakfast and high-speed wireless included. Six blocks from Higgins Ave.
Thank you to the generous 2014 Run for the Luck of It sponsors:
Photo by Dariusz Janczewski
May 04: SPECIAL Craft Beer Week Beer Run
May 10: Tuesday Track
May 14: Saturday Breakfast Club Runs
May 17: Tuesday Track
May 21: Saturday Breakfast Club Runs
May 24: Tuesday Track
May 25: Last Wednesday Beer Run
May 26: Eat & Run Series
May 28: Saturday Breakfast Club Runs
May 29: Missoula Mile
May 31: Tuesday Track
Jun 01: Global Running Day
Jun 04: Pengelly Double, V & Single Dips
Jun 04: Saturday Breakfast Club Runs
Jun 07: Tuesday Track
Jun 11: Saturday Breakfast Club Runs
Jun 14: Tuesday Track