Grant is a trail runner and can be found leading some trail sessions, running the miles with the dog, or helping other runners get the perfect gear at the Runner’s Edge! We had the pleasure of doing a mini-interview to get to know more about Grant.
- Fortunately I have not been too heavily injured yet. I went out too hard and was undertrained in the 2019 Seattle marathon, and while not diagnosed I am pretty sure I limped away with plantar fasciitis which kept me out for about 6 weeks. Woof! Train thoroughly, and don’t go out too hard have been valuable lessons from that one.
Q: What is your favorite animal?
- My red fox lab, GOOSE!
Q: What is the longest you have run?
- I attempted the Antelope Island 100 mile this last March and made it just shy of 69 miles. I had been dealing with GI issues that developed from poor nutrition during my taper and from mile 50 could not keep any foods or liquids in… it was kind of a messy situation, to put it vaguely. Yet again, a super valuable lesson as these races always are and I believe these lessons continually make us better humans.
Q: What is the best piece of advice you have ever received?
- “Be where you are, and love what you are doing”. To not put podium pressure on myself in races, but to slow down and just enjoy each step of the way. Usually you are in unique places when you run long distance, so BE THERE! It’s fun to imagine what it would be like to be a full-time paid runner, but it’s as much a gift to not have the pressure of trying to win in these endeavors and rather just soak it up.
Q: What is your favorite food?
- Cheesecake. My partner, Abby, makes the absolute best!
Q: If you could go anywhere, where is it?
- South America is a dream destination for me, particularly the Inca Trail. I’m not a very experienced traveler beyond the United States, but I am very excited to visit Japan next May. Perhaps Peru will be after that 🙂
Q: What is your favorite quote?
- “We don’t always know what we’re supposed to do next, but if we pay close attention it can be pretty obvious what NOT to do”… wise words from Mama.
Q: What’s your media- movies or books?
- There is a time and place for both. I like to always have a book I’m working through (recently finished The Comfort Crisis- 10/10 recommend), but it’s just as nice to turn off my brain and watch Seinfeld.
Q: Favorite race you have ever ran?
- Orcas was probably my top so far. The experience with my folks was awesome, but I felt good and smiled the whole time, finished strong, and the views were truly top notch.
Q: What’s your go-to snack?
- EAT ALL THE THINGS, ALL THE TIME